Building Permit Services
Census – Building Permits (Look up number of new homes and value for Blue Mounds)
Projects Requiring Permits
Residents must obtain permits from the Building Inspector for construction and remodeling projects. Permit applications can be picked up at the Village Office. Permits must be obtained before construction begins.
Projects include the following:
- New homes
- Additions (including decks, fences, and sheds)
- Electric, plumbing & heating changes
- Commercial signs
- Roofing, siding & window replacements
- Any project that requires excavating, improving, altering, converting, repairing, extending or demolishing of a lot, building or structure must first obtain a building permit. Separate permits must be obtained for land disturbing, erosion control, plumbing, heating, electrical, and building. Permits are also required for signs, both temporary and permanent.
Projects Requiring Permits
Click the links below to open and/or download the fee schedule and procedure. Please note that for permits, payment should be made at the time of pick-up.
Listed below are a variety of useful resources that may aid you in your zoning or development questions. To find out what is permitted within a specific zone, or what the current regulations are for specific items (i.e. yard setbacks), please reference the internet link titled “Ordinances” below. To find out what zone your property is in, reference the zoning map below. If you have any questions regarding zoning or developments, feel free to contact the Building Inspector.
Zoning Map of Blue Mounds (2005)
Forms Needed for Building Permits
Commonly Missed Code Requirements
Please make note of commonly missed code requirements below:
1. All submitted plans must show significant detail in order to review. Some examples of inadequate detail: (a) safety glazing not identified (b) incomplete footing or foundation dimensions (c) incomplete insulation and structural detail (use building section sheet included in building packet). (d) incomplete stair detail with finished floor heights, etc.
2. All residential foundations must have drain tile installed to the specifics of ILHR 21.17(i.e., bleeders every 8 feet, sump crock with pump installed, proper tile location, etc.), unless owner/builder provides written information on soil type and water elevation exempting it.
3. Attic hatches located in garages shall be permanently installed with hardware that will maintain it in a closed position when not in use (i.e., screwed shut. ILHR 21.08(5)(d)(2)).
4. All residential masonry veneer walls shall conform to ILHR 21.26 (i.e., weep holes shall be provided at the bottom course at maximum intervals of 3 feet.) The weep holes allow moisture that collects behind the veneer to escape.
5. All insulation shall be marked with its R-value (depth markers placed etc.) or the installer shall post a signed and dated certificate (in attic near hatch) that states the type of insulation, its manufacturer, and its R-value. ILHR 22.03(1). Sealing is required at electrical boxes and other penetrations of the insulated thermal envelope.
6. Where inadequate erosion control measures exist, all work will be stopped and fines will be levied.
7. Make up air (either fresh air intake on the cold air return or air to air exchanger) must be provided to prevent negative pressure from exhaust ventilation ILHR23.023(3).
8. NO ONE SHALL OCCUPY A NEW SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING PRIOR TO A FINAL INSPECTION.
9. In order to receive an occupancy certificate, all health and safety items related to the permit work shall be code compliant, (i.e., no occupancy will be given in the following situations: (a) decks or other elevated areas over 24″ above grade without proper guardrail protection, (b) no handrail for 3 or more risers, (c) unsafe electrical conditions, etc.
- Erosion Control
- Setback, Footing & Bleeding Tile
- Foundation & Exterior Drain Tile
- Sewer Lateral & Water Service
- Temporary Electric Service
- Permanent Electric Service
- Underfloor Building Drain
- Interior Drain Tile, Sump & Vapor Retarder
- Concealed plumbing Rough
- Heating Rough
- Construction Rough
- Firestop, Ventilation, Insulation & Vapor Retarder